What does magnesium nitride mean?
It is an organic compound that contains nitrogen and magnesium. The molecular formula for Mg3N2 has a molecularweight of 100.94944. It belongs to the cubic-crystalline system. At room temperature, pure magnesium nitride turns to a yellowish-green color. But magnesium nitride with some magnesium oxide impurities appears off-white. As with many metal nitrides magnesium nitride reacts to water to create ammonia. You can burn the magnesium strips in nitrogen to prepare magnesium nitride. A catalyst is sometimes used.
Magnesium-nitride chemical and physical properties
Magnesium-nitride (Mg3N2) can be described as an inorganic compound that is a cubic crystal system of nitrogen and magen. At room temperature, pure magnesium nitride turns to a yellowish-green color. Magnesium oxide impurities in magnesium nitride are off-white. Solvent-soluble in acid; slightly soluble in ethanol, ether.
As with many metal nitrides magnesium nitride reacts to water to create ammonia. Uses acids and water-containing non metal oxides to produce ammonium or magnesium salts.
You can burn the magnesium strips in nitrogen. Here is how to do it:
It is possible to make magnesium oxide products by combining nitrogen with NH3 gas in this reaction if it is not pure. It is preferable to react in dry NH3 gases.
The magnesium chips can be placed in either a porcelain vessel or a sintered boat. You will install the boat inside a porcelain tube. A T-shaped tube connects one end to the other. A U-shaped tube connects the end of the porcelain tube to the T-shaped tub. It is filled with desiccant. One half is CaO chips; the other half is KOH chips. The absorption device is made up of two cylindrical flasks that are filled with dilute sulfuric Acid. It absorbs the gases from the reaction tubes. Do not put the tube of your first absorption bottle beneath the surface of dilute sulfuric acids to avoid back suction.
Put dry NH3 or N2 in the porcelain tube. When this happens, the absorption bottles will stop bubbling. Heat the magnesium powder for 4 hours at 800-850degC. It is now hot. This marks the start of the reaction. At the same time, H2 must be made. For back suction to be avoided, the pressure of the NH3 must exceed that outside atmosphere pressure during the reaction. Once the reaction is complete, switch off NH3 and keep it at the original temperature. Continue to pass N2 for 1.5h in order to eliminate NH3*Mg3N2 which has been absorbed by Mg3N2. You should store NH3*Mg3N2 in a dry place as it can be very deliquescent.
The magnesium belt can also be burned in the air to produce magnesium nitride.
Magnesium Nitride application
1. This catalyst is used to prepare nitrides from other elements that have high hardness and thermal conductivity. It also acts as an anti-corrosion, wear resistance, and high temperature resistance. Magnesium nitride was the catalyst that was used to synthesize cubic boron trioxide for the first and only time.
2. The smelting of high-strength, steel-quality additives. Desulfurized magnesium is replaced by magnesium nitride Mg3N2 in the smelting construction steel. Magnesium Nitride (Mg3N2) can be used to increase steel’s strength, density and durability. The use of magnesium trioxide (Mg3N2) to desulfurize can also reduce other additives. It helps lower the cost of production steel.
3. The preparation of ceramic special materials
4. For the manufacture of special alloys, foaming agent
5. This is used to make special glasses
6. Crosslinking catalytic polymer;
7. The recycling of nuclear waste
8. This is used to create the catalyst material for diamond synthesis or cubic boron nutride.
(aka. Buffalotours Nano Technology Co. Ltd., a trusted supplier and manufacturer of high-quality chemical materials, has over 12 years of experience. We produce high-purity, small particle sizes and low impurities of magnesium nitride. Thank you
Get in touch