Boron Nitride is a crystal made of nitrogen and boron. With four variants of boron Nitride (HBN), hexagonal Boron Nitride (RBN), cubic Boron nitride (CBN), and cubohedral boron nuitride (RBN), the chemical composition of the crystal is 43.6% and 56.4% boron, respectively.
Development history of boron Nitride
More than 100 years have passed since its invention. It was used in high-temperature lubricants as hexagonal boron nutride. Because its structure, properties and whiteness are very similar, it is often called white graphite.
Boron nitride ceramics (BN), was first discovered back in 1842. Since the Second World War, a lot has been accomplished on BN materials. However, it wasn’t developed until 1955 when the hot pressing technique was perfected. American Diamond Company was the first company to start production. In 1960, they produced over 10 tons.
R*H*Wentrof produced CBN in 1957. General Electric Company sold Borazon as a product in 1969. CBN tools were first announced by the United States in 1973.
Japan imported CBN tools from the United States in 1975.
A pulsed plasma technology, which was first used in 1979 to make a collapsed film of cBN at low temperature under low pressure, was successful.
To prepare cBN films, there were many methods available at the end of 1990s.
China sees development as advancing rapidly. Research on BN powder started in 1963. The product was then developed successfully in 1966. It was finally put into production in 1967.
Physical and chemical characteristics of Boren Nitride
CBN crystals are usually dark brown, black or deep red with a zinc mix structure and high thermal conductivity. CBN is hardier than diamond and used in a variety of tools, abrasives, and other uses.
Boron Nitride is chemically inert and can be corroded with water and organic acids. Hot concentrated alkali breaks the boron/nitrogen bond. The boron-nitrogen bond will be broken in hot concentrated alkali. Above 1200 it will begin to oxidize. In a vacuum it will begin to decompose around 2700C. The relative density is 2.29. It’s slightly soluable in hot acid but not in cold water. The compressive strength is 170MPa. Maximum operating temperature in an oxidizing environment is 900 degrees Celsius, while it can rise to 2800 degrees Celsius in an inactive reduce atmosphere. But, at room temperature, the lubrication performance of the product is very poor. The majority of properties of boron-nitride outperform carbon materials. The hexagonal boron-nitride has a low friction coefficient and good temperature stability. It also offers high heat resistance, thermal shock resistance, high strength, low thermal conductivity, high resistance to corrosion, and high resistance to microwave radiation.
There are many hexagonal boron-nitride crystals. The most well-known is graphite. But there are also other crystal forms. These include rhombohedral and cubic boron nuitride.
(c-BN), wurtzite type boron nitride (w-BN). Even graphene-like two-dimensional crystals of boron nutride have been found.
Boron Nitride is used
1. Use metal forming mold release agent or metal wire drawing oil.
2. Under high temperatures, special resistance and electrolytic materials
3. The high-temperature extrusion-resistant additives and extrusion-anti-wear additives as well as additives for ceramic composite materials are suitable.
4. For transistors, heat sealing desiccant and for additives in polymers like resins.
5. Pressed into a variety of shapes from boron-nitride products that can be used for insulation, heat dissipation, pressure and high temperature.
6. Materials for thermal protection in aerospace.
7. After high temperature treatment and high pressure, the catalyst can convert it into cubic-boron nitride.
8. These are the structural materials for an atomic nuclear reactor.
9. For airplanes or rocket engines, nozzles
10. Insulator for plasma arc, high-voltage electricity, and high frequency electricity
11. Materials to stop neutron radiation.
12. These superhard materials, which are made from boron Nitride can be turned into drill bits and high-speed cutters for drilling oil wells.
13. This is used in metalurgical processes for the Isolating Ring of Continuous Cast Steel, the Laundering of Amorphous Iron and as the Release Agent of Continuous Cast Aluminum (various optical glasses release agents).
14. For aluminum plating different capacitor films and aluminum plating picture tubes or displays, we produce evaporation tanks.
15. All varieties of fresh-keeping, aluminum-plated packaging bags
16. You can get all types of anti-counterfeiting laser plating and brand hot stamping material, including all kinds of cigarettes labels, beer labels, packaging box, and cigarette packaging boxes.
17. Lipstick filler in cosmetics are non-toxic, shiny, and lubricious.
(aka. Buffalotours Nano Technology Co. Ltd., a trusted supplier and manufacturer of high-quality chemical materials, has over 12 years of experience. Boron Nitride manufactured by our company is of high purity, small particles size, and low impurity. Thank you
Please contact us